Thread
Print

[Mage] =Doom='s Guide to be a Mage (Updates Complete)

=Doom='s Guide to be a Mage (Updates Complete)

Quick Note from =Doom=
Hey everyone, many have asked me about what build a mage should use or what skills mage's pet should have and so on. Hence, I have decided to create a guide on how to be a strong mage. However, before I go any further, you need to be warn that in order to be strong, the key criteria is to do marathon everyday religiously or you can whip out your credit card and used it until its limit. This guide is based on my opinions and ideas. Some may have differing opinions, it is up to your discretion to follow my guide or not. This guide maybe wordy and lengthy, however, I do hope that you will take some time to read and digest. I believe you will learn something from this guide! Thanks

Introduction to Mage
1) What is so fun and great about mage?
First and foremost, its attack based on range! Many players (especially champions and warriors) hate it when mage run around like a fool and spam skills while the meele characters have to slog their butts just to chase mage. I have experience using Champion and Warrior...Seriously, after duelling with mage, I appreciate my =Doom= even more. If you are an irritant (like me) and love to run around, trust me, mage is a character that suits you. Mage is also one of the easiest cl^_^ to pilot. You do not require much brain to pilot a mage. Just ensure that you need to run alot and spam your skills (But of course, you need to spam the right skills) too! Oh, mage is a great cl^_^ for monster hunting too! With Blood s()cker/Life Devoured as your Pet skills and flame blast, you usually can survive better and damage more as compared to other cl^_^es. Mage is the natural boss tanker! Mage is also a good PlayerVsEveryone Cl^_^ due to the range AOEs (Thundercloud and Star Shower). Spam AOEs on the large crowd of opposing faction and run back and hide Or you can be the ultimate suicide bomber...Run into the middle of the large crowd of opposin faction in Pindus, use fire blast and BOOM! You will die because most of them will for sure gangbang you, but in the meanwhile, you also manage to bring some of them along with you to GodsWar's Afterlife. If you are a person who love range and high damage, mage is the cl^_^ that suit you.

2) Is Mage the best cl^_^?
No, please do not have that idea. It really depends on your build. Each build is good against certain cl^_^/build and has weakness against other cl^_^/build. It really depends. However, if we get to pot and duel, Priest has a slight added advantage in PVP! But hey, do not let this factor affect you and prevent you from being the ultimate and perfect mage

Different types of Attribute Builds for Mages
1) 0 Tenacity Build
1.1) Healing and Hp Res (Build I'm currently using and I will change to 1.2 build)
0 tenacity means you do not have any critical resistance. Do not increase your Crit Resistance in your TP tree. let it remain at 0. This will ensure players will constantly damage you with crit. However, you may question me, WHY?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!!! CRIT DAMAGE IS FREAKIN PAIN! ARE YOU INSANE?! No, I'm not. That is where your cooled holy stones come in handy. For cooled holy stones, use crit damage percentage as your first drill and crit damage value as your second drill. 0 tenacity build will ensure your holy stones build is fully maximised as most of the time, they will damage you with crit. If you have good holy stones drills, you be surprised some crit damages can be lower than the normal damages. Okay, since you do not have any crit resistance attributes in your equipments, you have more slots for other attributes. This is where healing done comes in handy. With Profession, getting super healing pots is a piece of cake. With good healing done, you can literally spam hp pots without dying in a war! Oh, and if you have a supporting priest with you, even better! The healing on you will be high and you be near unstoppable. Sounds cool right? :3 If you are ultimate maller, use magic healing pots and see how your life will always be full with good healing done! Okay, so now why add Hp res? Think about it...Mage is a cl^_^ that requires lots of running. You get to dodge most of your opponents' attacks by running. While you run, with hp res, you get to restore some of your hp. Isn't that wonderful? During war in pindus, after using AOEs, you will run away, with hp res, you can escape some near to close death experience. I am currently using this build, however, mage do not have good hp res overall as compared to warrior, hence hp res is not really effective. After talking to Lancey and BooBies from ZEPOS, I found a better build which I'm goin to change to!

1.2) Healing Done with Dodge Rate Buff (Highly Recommended by =Doom= and Lancey)
You need to have at least 4 dodge rate buff in your equipments to ensure this take effect. From Lancey's experiments, he told me 80 percent of the time when people use debuff (Silence, Stun and Freeze), it doesn't work on him. Preventing all these debuff will give you a great added advantage in both war and PVP. As a mage, I have no problem in PVP or war except always getting debuff! When I charge up front to the Spartas to use AOEs and run back, I usually get frozen, stun and silence in one shot! 15 over spartas will come and gangbang me until I die...I feel so helpless!!! This is where dodge buff come in extremely useful! It prevents you from dying! Even in PVP, imagine you can dodge all the debuffs. You be near unstoppable :3 Champion will forever have to chase you since freeze will not really work on you. Isn't that wonderful? I will post this build when I change my attributes and give it a try out. However, if you decide to add in 4 dodge rate buff, you need to sacrifice some attributes. I recommend you to take away your damage absorption as it's rather useless. The stronger you are, damage abs will be more useless.

2) Dodge Build
2.1) With Crit Res
For this build, you will have to take away healing done and damage absorption to add Crit Res and Dodge attributes! Ensure you max out both attributes on your equipments! High dodge will only be effective if you have high tenacity. Having low tenacity will nearly render your dodge useless! Lancey used this build when he was a mage and it proved him quite useful. This build is similar to a champion! Your dodge and tenacity may not be as high as champion, but it may still prove useful! To let you know, if you really malled and max out your gears, you can reach above 1k dodge which is about the same as champion!

Holy Stones Build
1) Cooled Stones Build
1.1) 0 Tenacity Build
Just use reduce crit percentage damage (First drill) and reduce crit damage value (Second drill) build! Think about it, if you use 0 tenacity build, you will constantly get damages with crit, hence having those drills, it will reduce those crit damages.

1.2) Dodge Rate Build
If you using this build, I highly recommend you using reduce physical damage percentage and reduce magical damage percentage. The reason is simple, since you will have high tenacity and dodge rate, the person will have lower tendency to damage you with crit! Even he never miss, it's rather a high chance the person will damage you without crit. I did an experiment with Ax3lZer0 and found out that Dodge Rate is related with tenacity! With high dodge rate, the chance of the person damaging you with crit is rather low too. Hence, since most of the damages applied to you is without crit, its better to use these drills.

2) Heated Holy Stones
NOTE: Ensure your first drill is always Increase Magical Damage Percentage
2.1) Increase Magical Damage Percentage and Disable Magical Defence Percentage
This is the build that I'm currently using now and it is the best combination for mage! As everyone get stronger, naturally people's magical defence will be higher too! Hence, using disbable magical defence will be rather useful and you will tend to damage your opponent real badly!

2.2) Increase Magical Damage Percentage and Increase Crit Damage Percentage
This build is very useful against monsters, low level or weak players and beginning of the game. If your server is new and everyone is still not very strong, this build will be the best. However, upon using this build, ensure you have high crits! You will only see high damage when you damage with crit. If you have low crit, your chance of damagin with crit is low and your drills will be useless!

My Stats with Merge Only

Pictures of My Equipments (Build 1.1, I will change to 1.2 soon and update it)[/b

[ Last edited by serinex at 3-2-2011 09:13 ]

Attachment

Wand.JPG (21.97 KB)

3-1-2011 20:38

Wand.JPG

Gloves.JPG (21 KB)

3-1-2011 20:49

Gloves.JPG

Sleeves.JPG (20.15 KB)

Sleeves.JPG

Helmet.JPG (21.89 KB)

Helmet.JPG

Girdle.JPG (22.38 KB)

Girdle.JPG

Leggings.JPG (22.73 KB)

Leggings.JPG

Boots.JPG (23.24 KB)

Boots.JPG

Amulet.JPG (24.16 KB)

Amulet.JPG

Capricorn 1.JPG (23.24 KB)

Capricorn 1.JPG

Capricorn 2.JPG (24.4 KB)

Capricorn 2.JPG

Magical Defence Armour.JPG (22.97 KB)

Magical Defence Armour.JPG

Physical Defence Armour.jpg (43.86 KB)

3-2-2011 07:21

Physical Defence Armour.jpg

Recent Ratings

Active Player (Mainly Weekends)
Active User for GW Forum.

Equipment Builds
1) Full Magical Attack Build, Mattack Helm & 2 Capricorns (Extremely Super Duper Strongly Highly Recommended)
Some says, Mage need HP and so on! However, think about it...Is mage a tanker? No, we are not! We should focus on getting high magical attack and finish our enemies off fast instead of tanking them! If you have the mentality to tank your enemies, then I believe you choose the wrong cl^_^! Why waste your attributes on HP when you can attack with range and run?

2) HP-Magical Attack Hybrid Build
2.1) Magical attack Helm and 2 HP Rings
Some rather sacrifice almost 200 of magical attack to go for near 8K HP. NOT WORTH IT!!! Only use this if you need HP desperately or you think you have damn HIGH magical attack -.-lll
2.2) HP&MP Helm and 2 Capricorns
This build will be useful if you max everything in your zodiac and you desperately need MP! That is why I say not to max your Improving Attack skill! Level 20 and level 16 is good enough!
2.3) Magical Attack Helm and 1 Capricorn and 1 HP Ring
Neither here nor there! Useless! xD Get a build that is focused on a particular attribute!

3) Full HP Build (HP&MP Helm and 2 HP Rings)
This build maybe good for Instance. However, its pretty useless when come to battle! One of my friend change to this build and he got butt kicked real bad! If you want high HP, change to Warrior or Priest. Mage should be about Killing Machine!

Zodiac
If can, please open up all of your zodiac! If you have limited amount of gold, open up all your Improve Defensive skill first, followed by attack skill improvement, then attack skill training and last but not least will be defensive skill training.

1) If you open up all Zodiac (Generally for War)

1.1) Improve Defensive Skill (Max All)
1.1.1) General
Use Spear Hit, Fire Lotus, Meteor Blast and Thundercloud.
1.1.2) Very Strong Warrior in Opposing Faction
Use Spear Hit, Fire Lotus, Meteor Blast and Flash Chop
1.1.3) Very Strong Warrior with Strong Mage in Opposing Faction
Use Spear Hit, Fire Lotus, Thundercloud and Flash Chop
1.1.4) Very Strong Warrior and Priest
Use Spear Hit, Fire Lotus, Holy Light and Flash Chop

Conclusion: Always have Spear Hit and Fire Lotus. You can interchange the last 2 slots depending on the situation of your opposing faction.

1.2) Defensive Skill Training (Max All)
Use Steel Rain, Stab, Lightblade and Chip Blast!

1.3) Improve Attack Skill
Use Fire Lotus (Level 20) and Thunder (Level 16). This is to ensure you have enough mp. When you realise a large group of opposing faction going to attack and you require to push them back, you can use Fire Lotus (Level 20) and Thundercloud (Level 16).

1.4) Attack Skill Training (Max All)

Use Lightblade and Flame Blast.

2) If you never open up all your Zodiac, only open slots that do not require gold.
Generally:

2.1) Improve Defensive Skill (Max all)
Use Spear Hit and Fire Lotus

2.2) Defensive Skill Training (Max all)
Use Stab and Lightblade

2.3) Improve Attack Skill (Max)
Fire Lotus

2.4) Attack Skill Training
Lightblade (PVP)/Flame Blast (Others)

Ultimately, this is only a general guideline. I believe you will know what should be in the slots for your zodiac when you are in war, quest, instance, afk, pvp and so on.

AFK, Instance and Quest
Usually I will afk/quest with thundercloud, star shower, flame blast and lightblade. For Instance, I use either only flame blast (if this boss will be hard to kill) or thundercloud, star shower and flame blast.

PVP Tips
First rule you always must remember! Never just stand looking like a fool and spam your skills! If you do that, you are the worst pilot/player ever! ALWAYS RUN AROUND and spam skills!
1) When fighting a Champion
Sequence to use which skills: Silence, Fire Lotus, Thunder, Thundercloud, Star Shower and Lightblade until you can use Fire Lotus again. If you know your opponent will run far away from you when you use silence, use fire lotus first. Then silence. Your opponent will start to run again. Run the opposite direction until your fire lotus cooldown is over. After that, when the champion is gettin within your range, use thundercloud. After, that use Fire lotus, thunder and star shower!

2) When fighting a Warrior
It is rather similar to fighting Champion. However, I will not recommend you to use star shower since your opponent has high magical defence. You will give the warrior a chance to chase after you and damage you. Just run and use lightblade until you can use fire lotus. Sequence: Silence, Fire Lotus, Thunder, Thundercloud and lightblade.

3) When fighting a Priest

This is tricky! Silence is your best friend especially when you fight priest! I bet you will hate priest's healing, gaia care and shackle! It be irritatin when you nearly kill your opponent, he or she heal and bam! You start from square 1 again. That is why Silence is your best friend. Always save silence as your last skill when your opponent is dying. This is to prevent the priest from healing or shackling you and you can finish the priest off! Okay, usually, the priest will use gaia care first to ward off your fire lotus! So you must be smart and quick to counteract that! Always be full of surprise when you fight a priest! Always change your skill sequences when fightin a priest! And please do not use star shower too!

4) When fighting a Mage

First skill no matter what always use silence! Rest of the sequences are rather similar! For this, you can choose not to run hehe xD You can just stand there and spam skill

Overall: It's really depend who you fighting. I'm only providing a general guideline. I believe there are many different type of skill combinations that are better or maybe more useful for other situations. Really depend on the situation you are in. So always be smart and think smart!

War Tips
Run and spam skills lol What more can I say? If you are going to face A HUGE group of players from the opposing factions, you can choose to be a suicide bomber by fire blasting or put thundercloud in zodiac slots and spam & run!

Pet
Recommended Pet Skills:
1) Life Totem (Increase HP)
2) Dark Revenge (Increase Magical attack)
3) Heart Ward (Reduce Critical Damage)
4) Rapt Attention (Increase Critical)
5) Devoured Life (Gain HP with every attack)
6) Enhanced Mag Damage (Increase Spell Damage)

Tips and Advices: For 2 & 6, you can interchange with any other 2 pet skills that you think you need the most! 1, 2, 4 and 5 is essential for a mage! You may not follow exactly the pet skills I used. You can use alternative pet skills that provide the same attributes as I have mentioned. Pet helps your character to be strong! If possible, get as many rebirth waters as you can (Rebirth Water can only get from Mall Events, Wheel of Fortune or Wonderland which will be very rare) for your pet! Merge as many pets to your main pet! For a starter main pet, either use smart Panda (for Devoured Life)/smart Ghost (for Dark Revenge)/smart Bunny (for Rapt Attention)/Brave Rock Elf. Mage requires Pet with high savvy Agility as Agility is the factor for Magical Attack when merge! I bet you wish to have high magical attack when merge right? If can, focus on agility!

Mount Gears
After many tryouts, experiments, lab explosions and caused many casualties, Ax3lZer0 and me felt that mage should focus on high magical attack! Hence if possible, get mount gears that provide good magical attack! Other attributes not so important xD

Acknowledgements:
I will want to thank:
Ax3lZer0, for being a great teacher and wonderful best friend & bro.
ssyc, for giving me guidances and advices on warrior
BooBies, for inspiring to make a guide and tips & tricks!
Lancey, for giving me very good advices whenever I have any queries
KiCk'OuT, for supporting me
Ixte/Kevo, for always spamming whatever thread I create and always loving me!
Jelz, teaching me quite number of stuff.
Jesus, learn a great deal from duelling with him.
Yhamey, always being a supportive sister.
=Tina= and spanksta, you guys inspire me to make this guide too! :3
People who spam questions at me, You are the people who force me to make this guide -.-lll

If you any further enquiries, feel free to PM me on forum, give me a visit at HAHAHA server and give me a PM or just post on this guide! If you want to ask me personally in game, the best is you visit me during weekends! Hope you will learn something from this guide

[ Last edited by serinex at 4-1-2011 03:32 ]
Recent Ratings
  • makyquindao Favor +2 Nc 5-16-2012 07:55
  • mhisz27 Karma +5 Nice guide =) 11-11-2011 05:14
  • MrTiC Favor +10 nice nice 4-28-2011 02:28
  • sacho666 Favor +3 nc! damn ghost skill 3! 3-12-2011 07:00
  • taemo1020 Favor +3 USEFUL guide and MONSTER !! 3-8-2011 20:02

nice doomy , didnt bother reading but bery nice u still mad at me =( ?
Kevo Val server - Retired
Ixte H/A/H/A/H/A server - Retired

Back to spamming ma pakers & exploded the forum record :D

My Interview : http://forum.gw.igg.com/viewthre ... &extra=page%3D1
25K view already

1st King rank since the Beta , #@$@ the fakers

Reply 3# kevonevo's post

No I'm not -.-

Reply 4# serinex's post

come visit me in valentine then

25K view already

Reply 1# serinex's post

ha ha ha nice
who am i? check this out : http://forum.gw.igg.com/viewthre ... =page%3D1#pid345690   

retired, playing only for friends :)

Reply 6# tiangtlho's post

Thanks...Where's my favours?!!!

lol everyone he mention had something positive i only get the spamming as if im only ... dumb

25K view already

Reply 8# kevonevo's post

Okay...I changed it

NICE GUIDE DOOMY THAT GOOD OF PPL
and i will never back down until either me or my enemies lie lifeless on the field of battle.

Thread